Everyone has their own way of making potato salad whether it has mayo or sour cream or both. Some people prefer Hellmann's and some prefer Miracle Whip. We're a Hellman's type of family.
I've had a few people ask me for my recipe lately and to be quite honest with you I just make the salad without thinking much about it. For decades now I pretty much make it the same way or close to it depending what I have on hand.
- 7 - 8 potatoes washed, boiled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 5 -6 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped (Save 1-2 for garnish)
- 1/2 of a green pepper chopped
- 4 -5 green onions chopped
- 2 - 3 radishes chopped
- garlic powder
- celery seed salt
- ground pepper
- 1 TBS of yellow mustard
- 1 TBS of green sweet relish
- Hellmann's or Miracle Whip if you prefer
I don't measure out the spices so just make to your taste but don't be stingy.
- I boil my potatoes till they are fork tender. Be careful not to overcook.
- While the potatoes are cooking I prepare the green pepper, onion, and radishes.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and have cooled off enough to handle I cut them into bite sized pieces. Most times I will leave the peel off but that's just me. If you must, remove the skin. do so before chopping.
- In a large bowl add the chopped potatoes along with the green pepper, onion, and radishes and toss.
- Next add your spices tossing again.
- Next comes the chopped eggs, yellow mustard, relish and Hellmann's. I add the Hellmann's without measuring. Add what you feel you'd like.
- Give everything a really good gentle toss, add more paprika to the top along with a sliced hard boiled egg or two.
- Serve and ENJOY!