I used a roasting chicken that was just over 3 pounds. It was very easy to flatten the chicken out. If you've never had chicken this way let me tell you that you'll want to try it as it cuts the roasting time in half.
First start by whisking well all the following ingredients together in a 2 cup measuring cup, or a bowl if you prefer.
Ingredients For Marinade
- 6 TBS of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 TBS of ground cumin
- 4 TBS of paprika
- 4 TBS of white sugar
- 4 TBS of lemon juice
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- Place the chicken breast down on your cutting surface.
- With sharp kitchen shears cut the chicken along the backbone.
- Do this on both sides and and remove the backbone.
- Press down firmly on the chicken to flatten.
Marinating the Chicken
- Next step is to marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Place the chicken skin side down and pour 1/2 of the marinade onto the chicken covering the entire side.
- Flip the chicken over and pour the remaining marinade onto the chicken covering the flip side.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Roasting the Chicken
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Spray a roasting pan with cooking oil.
- Place the chicken in the roasting pan and into the oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until the chicken has reached and internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Remove from the pan and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve and ENJOY!